How to Engage in Online Forums for your Brand

forum

I regularly find myself in the position of having to defend online forums, without actually wanting to be put into that position. It’s kind of awkward and strange because forums don’t need defending. They don’t need me. They don’t need anyone. Forums were around before you got into “social” (professionally) and they’ll be around after you [...]

Hit by Google Penguin? An In-House SEO Crisis Management Plan

google_penguin_update

Another update, another dose of mayhem. This time the mayhem is called Penguin. As with all Google updates over the years, there have been winners and losers. Before we start panicking, we should remember that for Google to survive and continue dominating in the next decade it has put in huge effort to keep its SERPs [...]

Your Website is a Mousetrap and Your Content is the Cheese

imgres-1

When you run down to the hardware store to invest in a mousetrap, I’m quite sure you have a very clear idea of what you’re trying to accomplish. So start with the end in mind. (Ick. It’s not the prettiest metaphor I’ve ever created.) But seriously, killer, do you know what you want your site to [...]

What Do Consumers Really Want? Simplicity

simplicity

You’re probably familiar with the purchase funnel, invented in 1898 by the colorfully named St. Elmo Lewis: he proposed that consumers go from awareness to interest to desire to action, gradually reducing the number of options or brands they consider along the way. This has been adopted, with some changes, as the standard across industries. [...]

How to Find and Write Benefits that Turn Online Prospects into Buyers

1408881795_1ee1e8b7a5_0

More and more, it seems like you need a degree in psychology to be an effective marketer online. The idea of turning prospects into buyers of your product or service can be a little overwhelming, and some of the advice out there is downright contradictory. If you’re like me, juggling lots of projects at once, you don’t [...]

How Social Media Monitoring Can Boost Your Lead Generation

Lead_generation

If you’re unconvinced by the potential power of finding and nurturing leads through social media monitoring, then consider this: 17.9% of B2B companies and 24.8% of B2C marketers say that social media lead generation is even more potent than PPC or SEO is. Furthermore, a staggering 68% of marketers claim to have created leads from [...]

Understanding How Your Marketing Analytics Gives Credit for Conversions

touch

When chatting with marketers, one of the most common questions we hear at HubSpot is regarding “first touch” versus “last touch” attribution in marketing analytics. First touch, last touch, and assist reports are all different ways to attribute conversions on your website, and each of these attribution methods will tell you something different and important about the [...]

10 Foolproof Ways to Earn Your Landing Page Visitors’ Trust

landing page trust

Landing pages are a critical tool for meeting your ever-increasing lead generation goals. Actually, only 8% of marketers reported that dedicated landing pages were ineffective, according to MarketingSherpa’s 2011 Landing Page Optimization Benchmark Report. I’m not sure what those 8% are doing, but the effectiveness of landing pages for the other 92% of marketers hinges on one component that isn’t [...]

The rise of Generation-C…and what to do about it

20120325-ebc6tsp2s5icin5p3mstyhbktg

There is a great myth that a winning formula exists for success in social media. If we can introduce the right viral content we can get more views or friends. If we can maintain a rhythmic editorial calendar we can spark conversations that create a social effect. If we can develop the most amazing app, [...]

5 Ways to Make Your B2B Marketing Smart

frieze_dunce-200x300

Every now and then I will stumble across a marketing campaign or activity that makes me stop and do a mental head scratch. You know the thought — “Why did they do that?” While I am a huge proponent of trying new ideas to see what sticks, there are a few things any B2B marketer can do in order [...]